I have finished 5 out of the 10 interviews I am doing for the NNPC. With people involved in shipping in various ways. What have I learned so far?
- People go into shipping mostly because they are born into it.
- People go into insurance, mostly because they happen to stumble upon it.
- Dealing with the finances of the ship, the cargo of the ship and the insurance of the ship are major undertakings.
- It’s a small world: most people in marine insurance and most brokers know (of) eachother.
- Capitalism, globalism and technological determinism are taking it’s toll on the shipping business. It is becoming less humane, less profitable and less enjoyable as a result.
It might be a sour note to end on, but I’ve got 5 more interviews to go. Let’s hope they bring a little light.